Dredging of mighty Brahmaputra is indeed a much-awaited circumstance for the people of the region. The dredging of the Brahmaputra river is going to become functional in September-October this year.
Here are some facts about the dredging process of Brahmaputra that you should know:
- The Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) will carry out the dredging operation from Sadiya to Dhubri.
- The dredging process will be in progress in order to get the National Waterways 2 operational following phased manner.
- Six dredgers will be used in order to dredge the river Brahmaputra which will cover a range of 841-km.
- Two of the six dredgers already reached Assam.
- By using silt from the river, a 1,300 km expressway will be built along the North and South banks of Brahmaputra.
- In the closing ceremony of Namami festival, the agreement for dredging of Brahmaputra from the eastern point of Assam to its convergence with the Bay of Bengal in Bangladesh was signed between Government of Assam, IWAI and National Highway Authority of India (NHAI).